The Parish Register system approved by Synod in June 2005, contents of
which are set by Canon
Five will begin 01 January 2006. The following notes are made
available as instruction for their maintanence.
Notes on the Use of Parish Registers
2. Importance. Parish records are of importance in the present as they track the current activity of divine service and liturgical / pastoral ministry. They are important in the future as they are referenced by individuals requiring proof of the integrity of personal information, including sacramental verification upon which other events depend. Records eventually prove invaluable in research efforts in the areas of genealogy, church history and sociological study.
3. Responsibility. Parish Registers are an important record of the pastoral, liturgical and sacramental actions of God’s Church. The parish incumbent is responsible to see that they are maintained with care and accuracy as the permanent record of life events of the People of God (Canon Five - 5).
4. Entry of records. Use of a black fine point pen will avoid smearing or blotting and greatly increase the permanence of the record. Never use a red or peacock blue ink and definitely not a marker. Write clearly or print to assure maximum legibility. Use of the original print acid free pages obtained through the diocesan office assures the best possible record media.
5. Completion of records. Complete all information requested by the register entry to the best ability of the recorder as soon after the liturgical event as possible. Financial information relating to offerings is entered at the church and before they leave the building as outlined in Canon Six-6(d) and the recommended financial controls and procedures in the Diocesan Parish Officer Handbook - Part Two:
6. Submission of records.
Original register pages for each previous calendar year are to be
returned to the Diocesan Archives through the Synod Office no later
than 01 March. If so desired, a photocopy may be retained for church
files. All other registers from prior years should be forwarded to the
Archives as soon as possible.
7. Retrieval of records. Recorded information for the purpose of the issue or reissue of certificates, or for other uses, is easily obtained by the incumbent or parish corporation by contacting the Diocesan Archives by mail, phone or e-mail.
|Parish Register Pages|
|Vestry Book Title Page|
|Registers Title Page|
|Confirmations and First Communions|
|Marriages (January 2011 Revision)|